The Eddy Merckx range is constantly evolving. In July, Merckx launched a completely new steel range and today, they’re launching their new flagship bike: the 525, successor to the EM525 and the cream of the crop of Eddy Merckx bikes.
“After months of research and development, I’m truly proud to be able to launch the new 525”, says Jochim Aerts, CEO of Belgian Cycling Factory (which includes Eddy Merckx). “The 525 has found the perfect balance between weight, aerodynamics and comfort.”
525 isn’t just any number. It represents the number of victories Eddy achieved during his career and signifies the highest amount of race wins in the world.
It’s a number that amazes you in every single way. To beat his Grand Tour streak (11 GT victories), you’d have to roll Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome and Nairo Quintana into one. And if you want to find a Classics rider as good as Eddy Merckx, you’d have to combine Tom Boonen, Fabian Cancellara and Philippe Gilbert.
Eddy was the perfect balanced rider. He could keep up the highest pace on the flat, climb like a mountain goat and descend like a falcon. That’s why the cycling brand went for the name 525. This bike is their ultimate tribute to Eddy, with great attention paid to his perfectly balanced characteristics.
The ethos behind the 525
What are the characteristics that make the 525 unique? “We’ve scoured the market and listened to what Eddy Merckx riders really want”, continues Jochim Aerts. “We don’t want to be the umpteenth brand that launches aero or climbing bikes.”
“The 525 combines aerodynamics, weight and comfort. This bike not only makes you ride faster, but it also makes you ride better. Whether you’re riding on cobbles, hills, mountains or racing along the flat, this bike will always feel perfect”, says Aerts.
"At the front of the bike, we focused heavily on stiffness and aerodynamics", explains Toon Wils, engineer at Belgian Cycling Factory. “Because we’ve integrated all cables and use an aerodynamically optimised handlebar, the 525 performs extremely well in the wind tunnel. We’re able to go below the 7 kg limit fairly easily without losing stiffness. And at the seat and chain stays, we focused on comfort.”
“The lateral stiffness is at the same world-class level as the Stockeu69, but the special rear stays with the two flex zones provide extra vertical comfort. In other words, the 525 really is the ideal bike for all types of terrain”, continues Toon Wils.
In 2020, AG2R LA MONDIALE will compete using the 525 Disc and Stockeu69. “The 525 is a multipurpose aerodynamic and lightweight bike, which will perfectly complement the Eddy
Merckx Stockeu69. In this age of hyper-specialization AG2R LA MONDIALE will be able to adapt its equipment to the terrain and therefor will be perfectly equipped to battle for every win. Disc brakes will play an important part of the future as well. With the 525 Disc our team will be ready to embrace that future with a smile.”, says Jean-Baptiste Quiclet, Head of Performance of AG2R LA MONDIALE.
The lowdown on the 525
· Rim: 860 grams (frame size SMALL, painted) and 330 grams (fork, painted)
· Disc: 925 grams (frame size SMALL, painted) and 360 grams (fork, painted)
• Available in sizes XS to XL
• Handlebar – stem combinations available from 38 cm to 44 cm and 9 cm to 14 cm
• Three balance designs: the two stripes were chosen deliberately. The front line is clearly wider than the rear. The front therefore represents the strength and stiffness that the bicycle has at the front, while the left, rear line underlines the comfort of the rear stays. Available designs:
· Glossy Black / Matt Black / Red
· Burgundy Red Metallic / Gunmetal Grey (glossy finish)
· AG2R Replica Design
• Available in rim and disc
• Available with electronic and mechanical groupsets
• Stock collection is available in the Ultegra Di2 and Ultegra. The MyMerckx Dream Builder is available for the 525 (other groupsets can be configured)
• Tyre clearance up to 28 mm
• Choose your own unique colours and design through MyMerckx
Copyright Eddy Merckx